Today is my birthday.
4 more years until I hit 30.
24 more years until I hit 50.
It's weird how time works and how incredibly fast time flies. The birthdays I remember is back home in the suburbs of northern Chicago, in the brutal summer haze of humidity. Every morning on my birthday, my room would be filled with balloons and I would wake up in a sweat, even though my bedroom fan is running and my window is open with summer breeze whisking in. I roll out of bed and head downstairs, seeing my parents and my sister hustling and bustling around in the kitchen making breakfast (my favorite). Dad would master the flip of the pancake so perfectly you would think it's a plastic pancake for display. Mom would flip the bacon with grease splattering on her piggy apron she has on. My sister would be either watching cartoons or help setting up the table. My two dogs, Buster (died in 9/3/14) and Spike would be wagging their tails to greet me. Breakfast would be ready and most of the time, Dad, the pancake God, would often put a heart, F, or random design on the pancake and present it to me. My family would sit down and eat breakfast together while my dogs drool on the floor staring at that juicy bacon and sausages. In a blink of an eye, it's already evening and relatives and friends of mine are hustling like there's no tomorrow around the house. Dad has the pinata set up on the tree-house that he built from the ground up. The plastic chairs are surrounded by the fire place on the other side of the lawn, a canopy is set up so our friends and family have some shade protecting them from the sun. Mom is in the kitchen chatting with our relatives drinking margaritas and other magic drinks they have in their hand or in front of them. Isla and I are playing with our friends in the backyard chasing Buster with a smashed pinata in his mouth.
I blink.
I'm 26 years old. I'm sitting on my office desk daydreaming about my childhood that was paying the bills free, debt free and tax free. I had no worries, I was loved and I was in a rush to be an adult. I wish I wasn't in a rush to be an adult. I miss my childhood and my home.
Today is one of these days when I feel granted for what I have and did in my life.
26. I am grateful that I woke up today feeling good
25. I am grateful that I have a job that makes a difference
24. I am grateful that I have a gorgeous make up vanity that I'm obsessed with it
23. I am grateful that I have a nice car to take me to places
22. I am grateful that I have wonderful co-workers that treats me like family
21. I am grateful that I have a roof over my head
20. I am grateful that I have food stocked up
19. I am grateful that the weather today is perfect, sunny and not too humid!
18. I am grateful that I came into work today seeing my office decorated for my birthday
17. I am grateful that I have tons of books sitting on my bookshelf for me to read in the future
16. I am grateful that I have many trips coming up this year and next year
15. I am grateful that I have family to rely on
14. I am grateful that I have friends to rely on
13. I am grateful that I love taking pictures so I can look back and remember the good times I had
12. I am grateful that I have expensive technology that keeps in touch with friends and family
11. I am grateful that I have two GREAT kids (cats)
10. I am grateful that I had a fantastic childhood
9. I am grateful that I can enjoy life as it is.
8. I am grateful that I can whip up a good chicken tacos for dinner
7. I am grateful that I have the help I need for my depression and anxiety
6. I am grateful that I am capable to do things when I don't want to
5. I am grateful that I am able to do things many cannot
4. I am grateful that I am deaf
3. I am grateful that I have a wonderful husband that loves me so deeply
2. I am grateful that I'm loved by many
1. I am grateful that I'm alive
I am grateful for all the things I have, and I truly hope you are too!
Comments
Post a Comment