Skip to main content

The Shenanigans I do!

It was a lazy Saturday when I came across a DIY cat hammock, I have two cats of my own that are my first pet to own. I'm now a full time cat-mommy to two adorable 8 months old kittens. They're both siblings and I have one boy and his name is Leo and I have a girl named Elodie, they're both tabby cats and they bring me love everyday <3

ANYWAYS, back to my DIY cat hammock I stumbled upon on Pinterest. My cats LOVE to look out at the window and they also love to sleep somewhere that is warm and soft.

I went to Home Depot with my hubby and got 3/4 inch PVC pipe, I got one but realized later that it wasn't enough to complete assembling but get two when you go! It doesn't really matter what size of PVC pipes you get, I went with 3/4 because it was sturdy enough to hold two kittens, 1 inch pipe is another great way to use the cat hammock.

I also got four 3 way elbows to connect the pipes together and I also got four 3/4 in. x 1/2 in. reducer male adapter to connect the four standing poles.

Then I went to Hobby Lobby (My favorite place to be when I explore aisle by aisle) for the fabric, I was told I needed two yards to make the hammock so I chose a black fleece fabric with white paw prints on it. It was already 30% off and plus I got a 40% off so it was a sweet deal. Thank Hobby Lobby!

I zoomed home because I was excited to make this for my cats. My cats knew something was up when hubby was sawing the pipe outside on our patio. I also got the fleece out and laid it on the floor so I can measure it. Once the pipes were finished, I put the pipe on the fleece so I can get an idea of where to cut the fabric evenly. Not even one minute and both of my cats laid on it and both looked at me with excitement.

Elodie

Leo

 I needed 44 inch length and 35 inches width and I measure it out and began cutting the fabric. I cut between 1 and 2 inches wide for the fabric strips so I can tie them tightly as I can so my cats won't fall when they're sleeping. After cutting all four sides, I took off one side and put the pipes on the fabric and tied the fabric onto the pipes. It was much easier than just taking one fabric and go under and over the pipe and tie it.


One side of the fabric in the middle and the rest are in the same position

Once I've tied all four up, it was looking great! I placed it by the window and it was nighttime when I finished the project mind you. I went to the kitchen for a drink and when I came back, Leo was already on it and getting comfortable! He slept there for HOURS.

Leo getting comfortable in his new hammock
Elodie didn't get on until the next day and she loved it as well.

Elodie on the window watch


Now, it's been few days since I made the cat hammock and I can already list some cons of it. My first and foremost is that the hammock isn't stable, it's very wobbly and it can fall easily if the cats were to jump on the edge. I'll figure out a way to make it stable later. My second con is that the pipes still have their barcode and weird numbers on it and I should've spray painted it first to black because black goes with everything duh. I'll paint it later when I have the time. Lastly, I can't change the fabric when I want to because I like to spice things up a bit once in a while :)



Items that you'll need:

-Two PVC pipes (size is up to you)

-Four 3 way elbows

-Four reducer male adapter to connect the pipes

-Two yards of fabric of your choice

-Scissors, get a fabric scissors because I had a hard time cutting the fabric with regular scissors

-Cats duh




Enjoy building cat lovers! 










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wait what?

March 4th, 2019 was going to be the day I'll never forget. I just got back from London with my husband on Saturday, March 2nd and I booked an appointment to see a gyno about my period. That appointment was scheduled for Monday and knowing my body, I knew that I wasn't pregnant because I had no symptoms (or so I thought). My body was just stressed out from my job and when my body is stressed, my period don't come. Like literally doesn't come until I'm relaxed. So by Monday, I went in for a regular check up and they asked me a shitload of basic questions like how often do you drink (I drink when I want to ok but honestly not that often), do I smoke, exercise and such. They asked me if I was pregnant before and that question kind of smacked me in the face. I knew it was coming and I wished they didn't ask it but they needed to know for my file. I said yes and I miscarried at 7.5 weeks also. It felt SO weird saying that and it hurts a little because my nugget woul...

It's my name and it's my choice

I'm married and...  I kept my last name. "Wait, WHAT?! You're supposed to change your last name when you're married!" "You're so selfish to keep your last name!" "You're stupid to do that!" "It's so wrong to keep your last name, people will think you're not married." "It's not the right thing to do when you're married." Yeah, I know, big fucking deal. I kept my last name but I have many acceptable reasons why I kept my last name.  I knew I didn't want to change my last name before I got married. It wasn't because of what other people were doing, it was because it was what I wanted to do. You see, I was raised to do what was right, and if I did something wrong, I would be shamed for it. With women out there like me that is wanting to keep their maiden name when they get married, they will get shamed for it, no matter what. We always will be shamed for what...