Skip to main content

It's my name and it's my choice

I'm married and... 

I kept my last name.


"Wait, WHAT?! You're supposed to change your last name when you're married!"

"You're so selfish to keep your last name!"

"You're stupid to do that!"

"It's so wrong to keep your last name, people will think you're not married."

"It's not the right thing to do when you're married."



Yeah, I know, big fucking deal. I kept my last name but I have many acceptable reasons why I kept my last name. 

I knew I didn't want to change my last name before I got married. It wasn't because of what other people were doing, it was because it was what I wanted to do. You see, I was raised to do what was right, and if I did something wrong, I would be shamed for it. With women out there like me that is wanting to keep their maiden name when they get married, they will get shamed for it, no matter what. We always will be shamed for what we're doing what we know is right for us. 

I was shamed for not changing my last name and it hurt me to hear those words coming out of both sides of my families because I thought they would understood and they would support me. But they didn't.

The day before the wedding, my mom dragged me aside and asked me if I was changing my name and I told her flat out no, I wasn't. She looked at me like I was not thinking right and she told me that she has been talking to Nick and he seemed upset that I wasn't changing my last name to his. I told her again that I wasn't changing and walked away. 

I was in for one hell of a ride.

The first time when I fought to keep my last name was AFTER the wedding when my husband felt it was wrong that his own wife didn't change her last name to his. He fought that it was the RIGHT thing to do was to change my last name to his. He felt pressured by his family to change my last name to his because it's what everyone did. Tears were streaming down my face, where was my husband's support from all this? Was I going to be in this by myself? 

Few days after that, my mother-in-law wanted to talk to me about not changing my name and she didn't want to talk to me. Was it because she wanted answers? Or could it be to pressure me to change my last name because it seemed like it was the right thing to do. 

Letters came and they were addressed to Mr. and Mrs. Grabanski and my mother-in-law was hinting at the last names when I was packing up for Corpus Christi and I just nodded at her like it was no big deal. Honestly, it was a big deal to me because you cannot respect my decision about my name. 

SO.

Let me ask you this..."What exactly is the right thing to do when you're married?"

Nothing.

There is no right or wrong thing to do with your last name, around 70% of women are still changing their names when they get married and that's ok! It's THEIR decision, not mine, and it's most definitely not yours as well. Meanwhile, the other 20% of women are keeping their maiden name after they get married and it's on the rise. These 20% of women have their perfectly good reason why they want to keep their last names.

Social media. It's one huge cyber space where you can find anyone by using their names, email address, or you can reconnect with someone that you lost communication long time ago. Social media is a great way to reconnect, long distance communications, to share a piece of our lives and so on. Once you get married, you have a choice, keep your maiden name or you change it. 

I had someone that I didn't know, never met that person before and never heard of that person before in my life and she contacted me via Facebook. She told me that she has been looking for Caflisch family because she has some of my Grandpa's childhood pictures, his wedding pictures and so on. She messaged me some of the pictures that I will cherish forever. Not once in my life I have seen this pictures and I'm in awe while she was sending me these. Then, it occurred to me, if I changed my last name to my married name, she would NEVER found me and I wouldn't be able to see these pictures. 

Fiona R.M Caflisch. That is who I am and who I will be. I have had that name for almost 25 years of my life, and it's my identity that I won't give up on. Scars, heartbreaks, bruises that comes and go, tears, and so many changes in my life are identities that I will give up on because it's part of growing up and letting that go is so easy. But my name? Can I let that go easily with knowing that my parents gave me a name that I am proud of to be changed in an instant? See link here

Not a chance, my name is my name and it's my identity that I am proud to hold on to. 

If I changed my last name, I would have to go through all that process to change my social security, email addresses, everything that holds to my maiden name. It's too much of a hassle for me and why should I go through all that process and my husband can't? All he did was just to put a ring on it and I have to go through all that process JUST to change my name? I would have to go to important places like the Social Security office multiple times to change my name and that would force me to miss my work days when I can be earning money to support my husband and my two fur babies. No. Just...no. It's not worth going through all that process when you already have a name. I could be sipping Long Island on the beach and not having to go through that hassle.

Some women keep their maiden names because of their work status, they've achieved so much in their work career and and they don't want to lose their success, their history with their company, and the possible of gaining top employers from around the world. They would also miss their greatest chance of getting promoted to higher level if they changed their last name. Women like them had their dreams of getting to a specific place where they work so hard to achieve their dreams, and to have that vanish within minutes would downgrade their work status and it would also confuse their coworkers as well. 

My husband got to the idea when he knew and understood when I didn't want to change my name, and he has my support and my respect for that. I asked him if me not changing my last name still bothers him and he said no, he hasn't thought about that at all. He's proud of me for standing for myself for not changing my last name and that's what he loves about me. "The only that matters is our profound love for each other, last names mean nothing in love and marriage. It's just words and it's meaningless."  <3 I LOVE MY HUBBY.

All in all, I'm not going to change it. Why you may ask? Because I happen to love my name. I am a Caflisch and nothing will be in my way. See link 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One in Four

"It's gone." May 22nd, 2018  6:00 am  May 1st, 2018, I had a hunch that I was pregnant when I was eating cheese ravioli few nights before. I felt sick when I was eating it and that was unusual because who doesn't love ravioli? Obviously I did. So I searched for my pregnancy test in one of the moving boxes. (I JUST moved to Chicago from Corpus Christi) Grabbed a cup and peed in it, then put the stick in the cup for few seconds and I put the stick face down on the bathroom counter and left. The feeling of getting a positive test was terrifying but exciting, and the feeling of getting a negative was also a relief but upsetting. I came back knowing it was going to be negative so I picked it up and saw two pink stripes. For the first time since Nick and I got married, I FINALLY got pregnant after what I thought was impossible. Instantly the wave of emotions hit me; excitement, fear, joy, anxiety, blessed and worried. But it was mostly excitement because I fina...

26

Today is my birthday.  4 more years until I hit 30.  24 more years until I hit 50.  It's weird how time works and how incredibly fast time flies. The birthdays I remember is back home in the suburbs of northern Chicago, in the brutal summer haze of humidity. Every morning on my birthday, my room would be filled with balloons and I would wake up in a sweat, even though my bedroom fan is running and my window is open with summer breeze whisking in. I roll out of bed and head downstairs, seeing my parents and my sister hustling and bustling around in the kitchen making breakfast (my favorite). Dad would master the flip of the pancake so perfectly you would think it's a plastic pancake for display. Mom would flip the bacon with grease splattering on her piggy apron she has on. My sister would be either watching cartoons or help setting up the table. My two dogs, Buster (died in 9/3/14) and Spike would be wagging their tails to greet me. Breakfast would be rea...

Wait what?

March 4th, 2019 was going to be the day I'll never forget. I just got back from London with my husband on Saturday, March 2nd and I booked an appointment to see a gyno about my period. That appointment was scheduled for Monday and knowing my body, I knew that I wasn't pregnant because I had no symptoms (or so I thought). My body was just stressed out from my job and when my body is stressed, my period don't come. Like literally doesn't come until I'm relaxed. So by Monday, I went in for a regular check up and they asked me a shitload of basic questions like how often do you drink (I drink when I want to ok but honestly not that often), do I smoke, exercise and such. They asked me if I was pregnant before and that question kind of smacked me in the face. I knew it was coming and I wished they didn't ask it but they needed to know for my file. I said yes and I miscarried at 7.5 weeks also. It felt SO weird saying that and it hurts a little because my nugget woul...