Skip to main content

Ups and Downs of Marriage

Marriage is just a piece of paper with a fancy stamp on it. It doesn’t have a manual of how marriage actually works. There will be ups and downs, fights or no fights, sleeping together or sleeping in separated rooms, laughter or tears, love or no love.

I myself recently got married in July 2015 in Gulf Shores, Alabama (Gorgeous place I have to admit!) and 5 months later, I already feel like it’s falling apart. I feel so overwhelmed with trying to keep this marriage together and it’s frustrating. Marriage is extremely hard work, there are so many compromises you’ll need to do and so many things you didn’t even know before you married your spouse.

Our first fight was a couple nights after the wedding and it was about not changing my last name. I told him weeks before getting married that I didn’t want to change my last name because I felt it was wrong to just change my last name for him. (I plan to do another blog about not changing my last name, don’t worry though!) Eventually, he got to the idea that I won’t change my name so that was solved.

We fought more down the road, but we still slept in one bed, we still had dinners together, we still did things together as coaching little girls’ softball. But I felt the chemistry we had is gone. The man I met two years ago was so focused on me, made sure I was over the moon, spoiled me whenever he wanted to, he was all ears when I talked to him like girlfriends gossip over wine and I loved that. The man today is focused in hockey (which he loves and I’m not going to stop him from playing) and hanging out with his friends and making me his last priority. He no longer listened to me and whenever I tried to talk to him, it would go in one ear and out in the other ear. It got to a point where I just stopped talking him. I no longer felt wanted, felt loved, I no longer got flowers or little things that made me felt loved by this man. It killed me. I was silently screaming right in front of him that I’m right here, I want you to love me like you did before.

I tried telling him and giving him clues but he never got it. He was losing me and I was losing him but I was determined not to let that happen because I was in love with him, regardless of who he is. I so badly tried to figure out how to bring the man that I loved two years ago back.

Last weekend was a huge turning point in our relationship and it was the worst fight we’ve had. There were so many tears and raised voices when we talked. Something he did on Friday was my final line and it was my last chance to make him listen. I told him how I felt and how he treated me was wrong. I told him that I don’t talk to him anymore because he doesn’t listen. I told him that I hated being treated as his last priority, I told him that I hated having him come home and go right back out to do his things. I told him I no longer felt loved by him. I told him that I am determined to work this out only if he is determined too.

Marriage is a bitch. It is not easy as everyone thinks and there is and will always be ups and downs. If you love your spouse as much as I do and you’re willing to fight for your marriage, I applaud you. Some would just give up so easily and they’re going to lose the best thing they ever had. I don’t ever want to lose what I have and I will fight for my marriage, day by day. We both will roll up our sleeves and tell each other that we both got this and we CAN do it.


 I absolutely love my husband for who he is and it will never change.

7/23/15 <3



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One in Four

"It's gone." May 22nd, 2018  6:00 am  May 1st, 2018, I had a hunch that I was pregnant when I was eating cheese ravioli few nights before. I felt sick when I was eating it and that was unusual because who doesn't love ravioli? Obviously I did. So I searched for my pregnancy test in one of the moving boxes. (I JUST moved to Chicago from Corpus Christi) Grabbed a cup and peed in it, then put the stick in the cup for few seconds and I put the stick face down on the bathroom counter and left. The feeling of getting a positive test was terrifying but exciting, and the feeling of getting a negative was also a relief but upsetting. I came back knowing it was going to be negative so I picked it up and saw two pink stripes. For the first time since Nick and I got married, I FINALLY got pregnant after what I thought was impossible. Instantly the wave of emotions hit me; excitement, fear, joy, anxiety, blessed and worried. But it was mostly excitement because I fina...

26

Today is my birthday.  4 more years until I hit 30.  24 more years until I hit 50.  It's weird how time works and how incredibly fast time flies. The birthdays I remember is back home in the suburbs of northern Chicago, in the brutal summer haze of humidity. Every morning on my birthday, my room would be filled with balloons and I would wake up in a sweat, even though my bedroom fan is running and my window is open with summer breeze whisking in. I roll out of bed and head downstairs, seeing my parents and my sister hustling and bustling around in the kitchen making breakfast (my favorite). Dad would master the flip of the pancake so perfectly you would think it's a plastic pancake for display. Mom would flip the bacon with grease splattering on her piggy apron she has on. My sister would be either watching cartoons or help setting up the table. My two dogs, Buster (died in 9/3/14) and Spike would be wagging their tails to greet me. Breakfast would be rea...

Wait what?

March 4th, 2019 was going to be the day I'll never forget. I just got back from London with my husband on Saturday, March 2nd and I booked an appointment to see a gyno about my period. That appointment was scheduled for Monday and knowing my body, I knew that I wasn't pregnant because I had no symptoms (or so I thought). My body was just stressed out from my job and when my body is stressed, my period don't come. Like literally doesn't come until I'm relaxed. So by Monday, I went in for a regular check up and they asked me a shitload of basic questions like how often do you drink (I drink when I want to ok but honestly not that often), do I smoke, exercise and such. They asked me if I was pregnant before and that question kind of smacked me in the face. I knew it was coming and I wished they didn't ask it but they needed to know for my file. I said yes and I miscarried at 7.5 weeks also. It felt SO weird saying that and it hurts a little because my nugget woul...